This course uses straightforward language to explain financial concepts giving delegates a clear understanding of profit & loss, balance sheets, budgeting and management accounts. Using real world examples, as well as practical activities, this course will give you a thorough grounding in finance.
On completing this course you will be able to understand how to use financial information to make good business decisions. You will also have the confidence to discuss and query financial matters within your company. This course is ideal for specialists who wish to broaden their business knowledge.
Course Duration: 2 days
“This is a great course for those who really want to learn about finance and how important it is without getting lost in ‘finance-speak’. Delegates really appreciate the down to earth approach without any jargon. They leave with an excellent understanding of finance.” Peter Sheridan
Profit & Loss Accounts
- What a P&L is and how it is calculated
- What are the key elements of a P&L statement
- What are the standard P&L ratios – EBITDA, EPS, Margin, ROA
- Fixed and variable costs
- How do P&L accounts differ across sectors
- What a balance sheet is
- What are the key elements of a balance sheet
- Tangible and Intangible assets
- How do Balance Sheets differ from P&L accounts
- What cash flow is and why it is important
- The difference between cash flow and profit
- Value Added Tax and cash flow
Budgeting & Management Accounts
- What are management accounts and how do they differ from a company’s P&L?
- Creating financial budgets for your business or department
- Cost Centres
- Cash and accruals accounting – how are they used?
- What is capital
- How do companies raise capital
- How is the use of capital measured
- What are the main types of company structure – LLP, LTD & PLC
- Company ownership – private individuals, partners, private equity, shareholders
- What happens when a company is listed on a stock market
- Trading a company’s bonds and shares
- Key financial ratios for publicly listed companies
Get in touch today to learn how you can improve your business skills
Peter deliveries this training programme in-house for companies as well as on public courses run by some of the UK’s best known training companies. Get in contact today to find out how you can benefit from this course.